They say if you haven’t listened to Maggot Brain while high, you’ve not lived life.
There seem to be two types of people. Funkadelic people and Parliament people. I tend toward the Funkadelic side of life. It’s more raw, dirtier and smells nastier. While Parliament put out a stellar debut (Osmium) and killed it later on with their super slick funk tirades, the Funk is where it’s at, for me. It’s solid.
Early Funkadelic is clearly the funkiest, most soulful and clearly most psychedelic. The late 70s and 80s Funkadelic just blurred the line between Funkadalic and Parliament. I tend to avoid that end of Funkadelic which in the end just left us will a ton of filler. In the late 70s, George Clinton should have just dissolved Funkadelic and spent more time with Parliament, in my opinion.
And let’s not forget Eddie Hazel who was a force to be reckoned with. Of my favorite guitarists, (which are few and far between) he ranks up there, by far.
I must also thank my beautiful wife for introducing me to Maggot Brain many years ago. That record has forever changed my life.
The music will speak for itself. That’s all I can say.
- You Hit The Nail On The Head (America Eats Its Young)
- Free Your Mind Your Ass Will Follow (Free Your Mind Your Ass Will Follow)
- Can You Get To That (Maggot Brain)
- Alice In My Fantasies (Standing On The Verge Of Getting It On)
- If You Got Funk You’ve Got Style (Hardcore Jollies)
- Hit It And Quit (Maggot Brain)
- Icka Prick (The Electric Spanking Of War Babies)
- Funky Dollar Bill (Free Your Mind Your Ass Will Follow)
- I Call My Baby Pussycat (America Eats Its Young)
- Maggot Brain (Maggot Brain)