Chrissie Hynde’s Advice to Chick Rockers
- Don’t moan about being a chick, refer to feminism or complain about sexist discrimination. We’ve all been thrown down stairs and fucked about, buut no one wants to hear a whining female. Write a loosely disguised song about it instead and clean up ($).
- Never pretend you know more than you do. If you don’t know chord names, refer to the dots. Don’t go near the desk unless you plan on becoming an engineer.
- Make the other band members look and sound good. Bring out the best in them; that’s your job. Oh, and you better sound good, too.
- Don’t insist on working with “females”: that’s just more b.s. Get the best man for the job. If that happens to be a woman, great- you’ll have someone to go to department stores on tour with instead of making one of the road crew go with you.
- Try not to have a sexual relation with the band. It always ends in tears.
- Don’t think that sticking your boobs out and trying to look fuckable will help. Remember you’re in a rock and roll band. It’s not “fuck me,” it’s “fuck you!”
- Don’t try and compete with the guys; it won’t impress anybody. Remember, one of the reasons they like you is because you don’t offer yet more competition to the already existing male egos.
- If you sing, don’t “belt” or “screech.” No one wants to hear that shit; it sounds “hysterical.”
- Shave your legs, for chrissakes!
- Don’t take advice from people like me. Do your own thing always.Chrissie Hynde is from the Pretenders.
Source: Sire Records press release, May 1994.